Mahmoud Sharara, Ph.D. Biological Engineering, 2015, University of Arkansas
Wisconsin Energy Institute (WEI) Building
460 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706
Tel: (479) 713-0658
Fax: (608) 262-1228
Biological Systems Engineering
Education and Certificates
Ph.D (Biological Engineering), 2015, University of Arkansas, USA
M.Sc. (Agricultural and Biological Engineering), 2010, University of Arkansas, USA
B.Sc. (Agricultural Engineering), 2003, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt.
Fields of Interest
- Biomass characterization and pretreatment
- Biorenewable energy systems (biological and thermochemical pathways)
- Waste management and conversion (agricultural, and livestock waste)
- Technical-economic assessment of biomass/bio-waste systems
- Life cycle assessment of agricultural and bio-energy systems
- Sharara, M. A., Sadaka, S. S., Costello, T. A., VanDevender, K., Carrier, J., Popp, M., G. Thoma & Djioleu, A. Combustion kinetics of swine manure and algal solids. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 1-10.
- Sharara, M. A., & Sadaka, S. S. (2015). Gasification of Phycoremediation Algal Biomass. BioResources, 10(2), 2609-2625.
- Sharara, M. A., Holeman, N., Sadaka, S. S., & Costello, T. A. (2014). Pyrolysis kinetics of algal consortia grown using swine manure wastewater. Bioresource technology, 169, 658-666.
- Ashworth, A. J., Sadaka, S. S., Allen, F. L., Sharara, M. A., & Keyser, P. D. (2014). Influence of Pyrolysis Temperature and Production Conditions on Switchgrass Biochar for Use as a Soil Amendment. BioResources, 9(4), 7622-7635.
- Sadaka, S., Sharara, M. A., Ashworth, A., Keyser, P., Allen, F., & Wright, A. (2014). Characterization of biochar from switchgrass carbonization. Energies, 7(2), 548-567.
- Sadaka, S., Sharara, M.A., & Ubhi, G. (2014). Performance assessment of an allothermal auger gasification system for on-farm grain drying. Journal of Sustainable Bioenergy Systems, 2014.
- Sharara, M.A., & Sadaka, S. (2014). Thermogravimetric analysis of swine manure solids obtained from farrowing, and growing-finishing farms. Journal of Sustainable Bioenergy Systems, 4(01), 75.
- Sharara, M.A., Sadaka, S., Costello, T.A., VanDevender, K., 2012. Influence of aeration rate on the physio-chemical characteristics of biodried dairy manure – wheat straw mixture. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 28, 407–415.
- Sharara, M. A., Clausen, E. C., & Carrier, D. J. (2012). An overview of biorefinery technology. Biorefinery co-products: phytochemicals, primary metabolites and value-added biomass processing, 18, 1. (Book Chapter)
Selected Awards and Honors
- University of Arkansas Doctoral Academy Fellowship (2010-2014)
- Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award (2013, and 2012), Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department, University of Arkansas
- Member of American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
- Member of American Chemical Society (ACS)
Dr. Sharara’s research focuses on the nexus of agriculture, energy, and the environment. His specific studies address the following topics: (1) characterization and upgrading of various agricultural feedstock and biowastes for energy conversion, (2) conversion of lignocellulosic and manure residues to biofuel and bioenergy streams through different conversion routes: thermochemical (pyrolysis, gasification), and biological (e.g. anaerobic digestion) (3) assessment of different technologies using life cycle, and techno-economic analyses.