Shengfei Zhou, Ph.D., Biological System Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2015, Madison, WI
Biological Systems Engineering
Education and Certificates
- Ph.D., Biological System Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2015, Madison, WI
- M. Engr., Pulp and Paper Engineering, South China University of Technology, 2011, Guangzhou, China
- B. Engr., Light Chemical Engineering, South China University of Technology, 2008, Guangzhou, China
Fields of Interest
- Biorefinery, biofuels
- Cellulosic ethanol
- Pulping and papermaking
- Biomass characterization
- BSE 375/CBE 562: Pulping & Paper Engineering. Teaching Assistant. Spring 2015
- BSE 249: Engineering Principles-Biological Systems. Teaching Assistant (Instructor). Fall 2012
- Shengfei Zhou, Troy M. Runge, 2015. Mechanism of improved cellulosic bio-ethanol production from alfalfa stems via ambient-temperature acid pretreatment. Bioresource Technology 193, 288-296.
- Shengfei Zhou, Qiang Yang, Troy M. Runge, 2015. Ambient-temperature sulfuric acid pretreatment to alter structure and improve enzymatic digestibility of alfalfa stems. Industrial Crops and Products 70, 410-416.
- Qiang Yang, Shengfei Zhou, Troy Runge, 2015. Magnetically separable base catalysts for isomerization of glucose to fructose. Journal of catalysis 330, 474-484.
- Shengfei Zhou, Paul J. Weimer, Ronald D. Hatfield, Troy M. Runge, Matthew Digman, 2014. Improving ethanol production from alfalfa stems via ambient-temperature acid pretreatment and washing. Bioresource Technology 170, 286-292.
- Shengfei Zhou, Troy M. Runge, 2014. Validation of lignocellulosic biomass carbohydrates determination via acid hydrolysis. Carbohyrate Polymers 112, 179-185.
- Shengfei Zhou, Huaiyu Zhan, Xiangrong Yao, Shiyu Fu, 2012. The mechanism of bamboo kraft pulp with laccase-natural mediator system bleaching. Transactions of China Pulp and Paper 27, 7-13.
- Shengfei Zhou, Huaiyu Zhan, Zhoukun Huang, Shiyu Fu, 2011. Laccase-natural mediator system bleaching of bamboo Kraft pulp. Paper and Paper Making 30, 48-51.
- Shengfei Zhou, Huaiyu Zhan, Shiyu Fu, 2010. Study on the degradation of bamboo alkaline lignin by catalytic wet air oxidation to produce aromatic aldehydes. Transactions of China Pulp and Paper 25, 47-51.
- Shengfei Zhou, Jing Li, Huaiyu Zhan, 2009. Effect of hemicellulose hot water pre-extraction and its adsorption on bamboo pulp. Paper Science & Technology 28, 28-31, 47.
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
Dr. Zhou’s research focuses on the integrated biorefinery of non-food biomass, including farm biomass (alfalfa, switchgrass, and corn stover) and forest materials (wood chips and residues, and bamboo). His Ph.D. work was focusing on pretreatment of farm biomass (alfalfa) for cellulosic ethanol production, chemical production from farm biomass, and biomass characterization. His M. Engr. work was focusing on biomass refinery for chemical and pulp production, and biomass characterization. His B. Engr. was in Chemical Engineering, with a focus on pulp and paper industry. He also had broad knowledge of modern instrumental analysis, and wet chemistry analysis, including HPLC, IC, GC-MS, UV/Vis, FT-IR, TGA, Powder-XRD, NMR, LC-MS, ASE, carbohydrate analysis, enzyme assay, fermentation, solvent extraction, etc. All these qualifications prepared him to be an expert in the area of integrated biorefinery of biomass for renewable fuel, fiber, paper, and chemical production.