Matthew F. Digman, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin (2009)
BSE: Adjunct Assistant Professor; UW Falls: Assistant ProfessorAgricultural Engineering Annex
Education and Certificates
- B.S. - Milwaukee School of Engineering (2003)
- M.S. -University of Wisconsin (2006)
- Ph.D.- University of Wisconsin (2009)
Fields of Interest
- Application of sensors to predict chemical and physical properties of herbaceous biomass
- Wet fractionation of herbaceous biomass
- Machinery utilization
BSE 365, Measurements and Instrumentation for Biological Systems
- Brink, G.E., Digman, M.F. and R.E. Muck. 2014. Field drying rate differences among three cool-season grasses. Forage and Grazinglands, 12(1).
- Digman, M.F., Runge, T.M., Shinners, K.J. and R.D. Hatfield. 2013. Wet fractionation for improved utilization of alfalfa leaves. Biological Engineering, 6(1):29-42.
- Vadas, P.A. and M.F. Digman. 2013. Production costs of potential corn stover harvest and storage systems. Biomass and Bioenergy, 54:133-139.
- Weimer, P.J. and M.F. Digman. 2013. Fermentation of alfalfa wet-fractionation liquids to volatile fatty acids by Streptococcus bovis and Megasphaera elsdenii. Bioresource Technology, 142:88-94.
- Digman, M.F., Conley , S.P. and J.G. Lauer. 2012. Evaluation of a Microwave Resonator for Predicting Grain Moisture Independent of Bulk Density. Applied engineering in agriculture, 28(4):611-617.
- Shinners, T.J., Digman, M.F. and J.C. Panuska. 2012. Overlap loss of manually and automatically guided mowers. Applied engineering in agriculture, 28(1):5-8.
- Digman, M.F., Shinners, K.J. and M.E. Boettcher. 2012. Crop Mergers: Management of soil contamination and leaf-loss in alfalfa. Transactions of the ASABE, 29(2):179-185.
- Digman, M.F., Dien, B.S. and R.D. Hatfield. 2012. On-farm acidification and anaerobic storage for preservation and improved conversion of switchgrass into ethanol. Biological Engineering, 5(1):47-58.
- Digman, M.F., Undersander, D.J., Shinners K.J. and C. Saxe. 2011. Best practices to hasten field drying of grasses and alfalfa. University of Wisconsin Extension, A3927.
- Shinners, K.J., Digman, M.F. and T.M. Runge. 2011. Biomass logistics - harvest and storage. In Sustainable production of fuels, chemicals, and fibers from forest biomass. Zhu, J.Y., Zhang, X. and X. Pan, eds. ACS Symposium Series, 1067:65-86.
- Digman, M.F., Shinners, K.J., Casler, M.D., Dien, B.S., Hatfield, R.D., Jung, H.G., Muck, R.E. and P.J. Weimer. 2010. Optimizing On-farm Pretreatment of Perennial Grasses for Fuel Ethanol Production. Bioresource Technology, 101:5305-5314.
- Digman, M.F., Shinners, K.J., Muck, R.E. and B.S. Dien. 2010. Pilot-scale on-farm pretreatment of perennial grasses with dilute acid and alkali for fuel ethanol production. Transactions of the ASABE, 53(3):1007-1014.
- Digman, M.F., Shinners, K.J., Muck, R.E. and B.S. Dien. 2010. Full-scale on-farm pretreatment of perennial grasses with dilute acid for fuel ethanol production. BioEnergy Research, 3(4):335-341.
- Digman, M.F. and K.J. Shinners. 2009. Real-time moisture measurement on a forage harvester using near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Transactions of the ASABE, 51(5):1801-1810.
- Casler, M.D., Heaton, E., Shinners, K.J., Jung, H.G., Weimer, P.J., Liebig, M.A., Mitchell, R.B. and M.F. Digman. 2009. Grasses and legumes for cellulosic bioenergy. In Grassland: Quietness and Strength for a New American Agriculture. Wedin, W.F. and S.L. Fales, eds. ASA-CSSS-SSSA, 205-219.
- Shinners, K.J., Adsit, G.S., Binversie, B.N., Digman, M.F., Muck, R.E. and P.J. Weimer. 2007. Single-pass, split-stream harvest of corn grain and stover. Transactions of the ASABE, 50(2):355-363.
- Shinners, K.J., Herzmann, M.E., Binversie, B.N. and M.F. Digman. 2007. Harvest fractionation of alfalfa. Transactions of the ASABE, 50(3):713-718.
Engineering PracticeResearch Agricultural Engineer – Kuhn North America
Research Agricultural Engineer – Dairy Forage Research Center
Design Engineer – Kuhn North America