Scott A. Sanford,
Distinguished Outreach Specialist / Extension Agricultural Engineer: Rural Energy Program
Agricultural Engineering Building
460 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706
Tel: (608) 262-5062
Fax: (608) 262-1228
Education and Certificates
- M. Engr. -1984, Agricultural Engineering - Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- B.S. - 1981, Agricultural Engineering - Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Cert. - 1977, Agricultural Mechanics, SUNY - Cobleskill College, Cobleskill, NY
- A.A.S. - 1976, Animal Husbandry, SUNY - Cobleskill College, Cobleskill, NY
Fields of Interest
- Energy conservation and utilization of resources
- Renewable energy sources
- Low Cost Dairy Expansion
- Recirculation Aquaculture
- Agricultural Energy Management - Short Course
- Milking Systems
- Rural Energy Issues Outreach Program
- Energy Conservation / Efficiency
- Dairy Farms
- Grain Drying
- Crop storage for fruits and vegetables
- Greenhouse production
- Maple syrup production
- Renewable Energy
- Sanford, S.A., Greenhouse Unit Heaters: Types, Placement, and Efficiency, University of Wisconsin - Extension, Madison, WI, 2006.
- Sanford, S.A., Energy Efficient Agricultural Lighting, University of Wisconsin - Extension, Madison, WI, 2004.
- Sanford, S.A., Ventilation and Cooling Systems for Animal Housing, University of Wisconsin - Extension, Madison, WI, 2004.
- Sanford, S.A., Heating Water on Dairy Farms, University of Wisconsin - Extension, Madison, WI, 2003.
- Link to Extension Publications
- Sanford, S.A., Milking System Air Consumption When Using a Variable Speed Vacuum Pump, ASAE, St Joseph, MI, Paper No. 03-3014, 2003.
- Midwest Rural Energy Council - Resource site with information about energy conservation, renewable energy and stray voltage.
- Wisconsin Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Resource site - information for energy conservation in Agriculture - coming soon renewable energy.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Lighting Technology: LED Lamps for Home, Farm, Small Business, 2015
- Wayne G. Russell Award, ASABE and Alliant Energy, 2014
- Wood Burning Appliances for Home and Businesses, 2014
- ASABE Educational Aids Blue Ribbon Award, Energy Efficiency in Greenhouses, 2012
- Rural Electric Resource Council Technology Award (ASABE) 2009
- Educational Aids, Blue Ribbon Award, In-Line Milk Cooling, Agricultural Engineering Fact sheet, ASAE 1984.
- Alpha Zeta, National Honorary Agriculture Fraternity, inducted 1980.
Scott Sanford is a Distinguished Outreach Specialist in the Biological Systems Engineering department at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where he has been on staff since 2002. He works on and manages the Rural Energy Program. He has developed audit tools and educational materials for the program and makes presentations on energy conservation. Currently he is working on energy conservation on dairy farms, irrigation system, grain drying, cold storage facilities and greenhouses. Scott also teaches the Agricultural Energy Management and the Introduction to Precision Agriculture courses for the Farm and Industry Short course program. Prior to joining the university, Mr. Sanford worked in the dairy equipment business for 17 years holding positions in engineering, marketing and manufacturing.