Student Hourly Employees

How to report your work hours:

Student Hourly employees are required to use HRS, which is the University’s program for reporting hours worked.

What is HRS?
  • This is an online reporting program, to enter your work hours electronically.  You may enter your hours daily, weekly, or all of them at the end of the pay period.
  • Your hours must be entered no later than noon on the Monday following the end of the pay period.  You will receive an email reminder on Friday, the last day of the pay period.
  • You can find the Biweekly Pay Schedule online at:
  • Once you have entered your hours, your supervisor will then approve them electronically.
What do I need to use HRS?
  • Work time is recorded on My UW Madison portal ( 
  • Student Hourly employees can go to for Employee Self Service (ESS) Training to see how they will enter their time. 
  • You will find also find instructions on the Knowledge Base website #16896 ( 
  • If you have problems entering your time, let Pam Spahn know.  She will enter it for you and find out what the problem is, so you can enter it the next pay period. 


Please direct any questions to the Payroll & Benefits Specialist:
Pam Spahn
Phone: 608-890-3172