Brian J. Holmes
Position title: Emeritus Professor: Farmstead Engineering, Energy
Phone: (608) 262-0096
232A Agricultural Engineering Building
460 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706
- UW Madison, Biological Systems Engineering Department
- UW Madison, Environmental Resources Center
- UW Extension, Agricultural and Natural Resources Extension
- Team Forage-Harvest and Storage Work Group
- Dairy Team – Co-Chair
- Center For Dairy Profitability – Faculty
- MidWest Plan Service-Committee Member
- Four States Dairy Programming
- US Dairy Forage Research Center
- University of Minnesota, Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering Dept.
- Wisconsin Frame Builders Association, Advisor to Board of Directors
- Custom Operators Association, Advisor to Board of Directors
Education and Certificates
- B.S. 1971 – Agricultural Engineering, University of Maine
- M.S. 1973 – Agricultural Engineering, Cornell University
- Ph.D. 1979 – Environmental Science and Engineering, Virginia Tech
Fields of Interest
- Forage Storage
- Livestock Housing
- Farmstead Planning
- Farmstead Environmental Protection
- Livestock Housing, Farm and Industry Short Course
- Kammel, D. W. and B. J. Holmes. 2003. Chapter 4: Calf Environment and Housing. in Raising Dairy Replacements. MWPS, Ames, IA
- Kammel, D. W. and B. J. Holmes. 2003. Chapter 11: Heifer Environment and Housing. in Raising Dairy Replacements. MWPS, Ames, IA
- Bickert, W.G., B.J. Holmes, K.A. Janni, D.W. Kammel, R.R. Stowell, J.M. Zulovich. 2000. Dairy Freestall Housing and Equipment (MWPS-7), 7th ed. Ames, IA: MidWest Plan Service.
- Janni, K., T. Funk and B.J. Holmes. 1999. Using All-Weather Geotextile Lanes and Pads (AED-45). Ames, IA: MidWest Plan Service.
- Bodman, G.R. and B.J. Holmes. 1997. Managing and Designing Bunker and Trench Silos (AED-43). Ames, IA: MidWest Plan Service.
- Springman, R.E., D.C. Payer and B.J. Holmes. 1995. Pollution Control Guide for Milking Center Wastewater Management (NCR-549).
- Muck, R. E. , P. Savoie, and B. J. Holmes. (accepted for publication 2003). Laboratory assessment of bunker silo density, Part I: Alfalfa and Grass. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. ASAE
- Savoie, P., Muck, R. E. and B. J. Holmes. (accepted for publication 2003). Laboratory assessment of bunker silo density, Part II: Whole-Plant Corn. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. ASAE
- Josefsson, K.G., L.J. Chapman, A.D. Taveira, B.J. Holmes and D. Hard. 2001. A hazard analysis of three silage storage methods for dairy cattle. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 7(7):1895-1907.
- Muck, R.E. and B.J. Holmes. 2000. Factors affecting bunker silo densities. Applied Agriculture in Engineering 16(6):613-619.
- Holmes, B.J., B.J. Doll, C A. Rock, G.D. Bubenzer, R. Kostinec and L.R. Massie. 1995. Experiences with two constructed wetlands for treating milking center wastewater in a cold climate. In: Kenneth Steele, ed., Animal Waste and the Land-Water Interface. Lewis Publishers, CRC Press.
- Muck, R.E. and B.J. Holmes. 2002 Factors influencing density and losses in pressed bag silos. Proceedings of the 13th International Silage Conference. Ayr, Scotland.
- England, T., B.J. Holmes, R.T. Schuler, R. Silha and R.J. Straub. 2002. Precision land application of animal manure slurry. ASAE Paper No. 02-1012, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, St. Joseph, MI.
- Bohnhoff, D.R., DW. Kammel and B.J. Holmes. 2000. Post foundation designs. ASAE Paper No. 00-4006, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, St. Joseph, MI.