Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist: Machinery Systems
232D Agricultural Engineering Building
460 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706
Biological Systems Engineering
Education and Certificates
- M.S. 2009 – Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky
- B.S. 2005 – Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky
- Ph.D. 2013 – Biological Engineering, Mississippi State University
Fields of Interest
- Machine Management
- Variable Rate Technology
- Agricultural “Big Data” Management
- Remote Sensing
- B. D. Luck. 2017. Calibrate your yield monitor for greater accuracy during harvest. University of Wisconsin Fact Sheet A4146. https://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A4146.pdf
- B. D. Luck, J. D. Davis, J. L. Purswell, A. S. Kiess, and S. J. Hoff. 2016. Assessing the effect of house size and design on air velocity distribution in commercial broiler houses. Transactions of the ASABE 60(4): 1313-1323.
- J. D. Luck, S. A. Shearer, B. D. Luck, M. P. Sama. 2016. Recalibration methodology to compensate for changing fluid properties in an individual nozzle direct injection system. Transactions of the ASABE 59(3): 847-859.
- B. D. Luck, J. D. Davis, J. L. Purswell, A. S. Kiess, S. J. Hoff, J. W. W. Olsen. 2014. The effect of measurement density on air velocity distribution characterization in a commercial broiler production facility. Transactions of the ASABE Vol 57(5): 1443-1454.
- J. L. Purswell, B. D. Luck, J. D. Davis. 2014. Technical Note: Effect of air deflectors on fan performance in tunnel-ventilated broiler houses with a dropped ceiling. Applied Engineering in Agriculture Vol 30(3): 471-475.
- J. L. Purswell, S. L. Branton, B. D. Luck, J. D. Davis. 2013. Effects of air velocity on laying hen production from 24 to 27 weeks under simulated evaporatively cooled conditions. Transactions of the ASABE Vol 56(6): 1503-1508.
- J. D. Luck, S. A. Shearer, B. D. Luck, F. A. Payne. 2012. Evaluation of a Rhodamine-WT Dye/Glycerin Mixture as a Tracer for Testing Direct Injection Systems for Agricultural Sprayers. Applied Engineering in Agriculture Vol. 28(5): 643-646.
- J. L. Purswell, J. D. Davis, B. D. Luck, E. J. Kim, H. A. Olanrewaju, A. S. Kiess, S. L. Branton. 2011. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide concentrations on broiler chicken performance from 28 to 49 days. International Journal of Poultry Science Vol. 10(8): 597-602.
- J. D. Luck, R. S. Zandonadi, B. D. Luck, and S. A. Shearer. 2010. Reducing Pesticide Over-Application with Map-Based Automatic Boom Section Control on Agricultural Sprayers. Transactions of the ASABE Vol. 53(3): 685-690.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Alpha Epsilon, Agricultural, Biological, and Food Engineering Honor Society
- Gamma Sigma Delta, Agricultural Honor Society