Natural Resource and Bio Environmental Engineer: Water Resources and Water Quality, Distinguished Faculty Associate
125 Agricultural Engineering Building
460 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706
- Biological Systems Engineering
- UW Extension, Agricultural and Natural Resources Extension
- Nutrient Management Team
Education and Certificates
- B.S. 1985 – Civil Engineering, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
- M.S. 1989 – Agricultural Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Ph.D. 2006 – Natural Resources and Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison,
- Professional Engineer – Wisconsin
Fields of Interest
Research and Extension Interests
- Phosphorus loss from agricultural management systems
- Watershed runoff computer modeling
- Water quality management outreach
- Drainage and irrigation management
- Transport and delivery of phosphorus from sources to receiving waters
- Development and application of water quality management models
- Erosion control and sediment transport
- BSE 201 – Land Surveying Fundamentals
- BSE 508/509 – Senior Design, capstone
- Panuska, J.C., K.G. Karthikeyan. 2009. Total phosphorus and organic matter enrichment in snowmelt and rainfall runoff from three corn management systems. Geoderma. 154:253-260.
- Panuska, J.C., Ruark, M.D., and E.T. Cooley. 2009. Tile drainage in Wisconsin: Maintaining tile drain systems. UW Extension fact sheet GWQ 056. 4p.
- Panuska, J.C., K.G. Karthikeyan and P.S. Miller. 2008. Impacts of surface roughness and crusting on particle distribution of edge-of-field sediments. Geoderma, 145: 315 –324.
- Panuska, J.C., L.W. Good and R.P. Wolkowski. 2007. Converting CRP land to corn: minimizing soil loss, UW Extension fact sheet A3830, 4p.
- Panuska, J.C., L.W. Good and R.P. Wolkowski. 2007. Converting CRP land to corn: minimizing phosphorus loss, UW Extension fact sheet A3831,4p.
- Panuska, J.C., K.G. Karthikeyan and J.M. Norman. 2007. Sediment and Phosphorus Losses in Snowmelt and Rainfall Runoff from Three Corn Management Systems. Trans. ASABE 51: 95 – 105.
- Lathrop, R.A., J.C. Panuska, T.A. Astfalk, W.J. Buth, D.E. Armstrong and R.T. Herrin. 2000 Treatment of hypolimnetic water to reduce phosphorus and mercury cycling in Devils Lake. EPA Technical Report for project No. CL995598-0. 23p.
- Panuska, J.C. and D.M. Robertson, 1999. Estimating phosphorus concentrations following alum treatment using apparent settling velocity. Journal of Lake and Reserve. Manage. 15: 28-38.
- Panuska, J.C. and R.A. Lillie. 1995. Phosphorus Loadings from Wisconsin Watersheds: Recommended Phosphorus Export Coefficients for Agricultural and Forested Watersheds. WDNR Research Findings Report No. 38. PUBL-RS-738 95. 8p. Physical copy held by UW-Madison Libraries, information here.
- Wisconsin Irrigation Scheduling Program (WISP 2012) – web based tool. http://wisp.cals.wisc.edu/
- Wisconsin Irrigation Scheduler spreadsheet (WIS) Updated 6.3.11 and User’s Guide Version 6.3.11
- Member, American Society of Agricultural Engineers
- Member, American Water Resources Association, WI Chapter